A mission to heal
August 7, 2014 17:10
In the second and final part of a series dedicated to the city’s historical hospitals, take a stroll along Hanevi’im Street toward Safra Square.
The International Anglican School, formerly the English Mission Hospital.
(photo credit:SHMUEL BAR-AM)
In 1844, the London Society for Promoting Christianity Among the Jews made medical history when it opened the first modern hospital in Jerusalem. Along with providing the latest in healthcare, doctors at the English Mission Hospital planned to preach Christianity over the beds of their patients.Not surprisingly, the reaction of the Jewish Orthodox establishment was harsh, and Jews who died within the hospital’s walls were refused a Jewish burial. Yet lacking any other suitable option, Jews continued to take advantage of its services (see IJ, July 25, “The doctor is in”).