BERLIN - John Demjanjuk, convicted this year for his role in killing 28,000 Jews in the Sobibor Nazi death camp, may be prosecuted for similar crimes at another camp, a newspaper report said.
"There is initial suspicion based on a report," Gerhard Heindl, state prosecutor for the prosecution office in Bavaria's Weiden was quoted as saying in Saturday's edition of the Der Tagesspiegel newspaper.
Demjanjuk ruling ‘closes the circle,’ Dorner says
Demjanjuk: A powerful verdict, bitterly undermined
The allegations -- brought by two figures who were involved in the Sobibor case -- refer to his time as a guard at the Flossenbuerg camp from October 1943 to December 1944, the newspaper said. The two men say that during Demjanjuk's time in the camp 4,974 people were killed.
In May, a Munich court convicted the 91-year-old of helping to kill 28,000 people at the Sobibor camp in German-occupied Poland during World War II, sentencing him to five years in prison. He was freed because of his age.
The Ukrainian-born Demjanjuk had been in a German jail since he was
extradited from the United States two years ago. He is now stateless.
Demjanjuk, once top of the Simon Wiesenthal Center's list of most wanted
Nazi criminals, has said he was drafted into the Soviet army in 1941
and then taken prisoner by the Germans.
He was initially sentenced to death two decades ago in Israel for being
the so-called "Ivan the Terrible" camp guard at Treblinka in Poland.
The guilty verdict was overturned on appeal by Israel's supreme court in
1993 after new evidence emerged pointing to a case of mistake identity.