Two young brothers rescued from Haiti quake rubble

By JPOST.COM STAFF, AP
January 20, 2010 10:29

Boys pulled out by US forces and brought to Israeli field hospital.

2 minute read.



.

Hait rubble . (photo credit: AP)

Two brothers aged 10 and seven were rescued from the rubble in Port au-Prince on Wednesday morning and brought to the Israeli field hospital in the Haitian capital.

The boys were pulled out of the rubble by US forces a week after a devastating earthquake shook the area.

A 69-year-old ardent Roman Catholic who said she prayed constantly during her week under the rubble was among the unlikely survivors of the epic Haitian earthquake.

One full week after the magnitude-7 quake killed an estimated 200,000, left 250,000 injured and made 1.5 million homeless, search-and-rescue teams were emerging from the ruins with improbable success stories. Experts have said that without water, buried quake victims were unlikely to survive beyond three days.

Elsewhere in the capital, two women were pulled from a destroyed university building. And near midnight Tuesday, a smiling and singing 26-year-old Lozama Hotteline was carried to safety from a collapsed store in the Petionville neighborhood by the French aid group Rescuers Without Borders.

Crews at the cathedral compound site Tuesday managed to recover the body of the archbishop, Monsignor Joseph Serge Miot, who was killed in the Jan. 12 quake.

Authorities said close to 100 people had been pulled from wrecked buildings by international search-and-rescue teams. Efforts continued, with dozens of teams sifting through Port-au-Prince's crumbled homes and buildings for signs of life.

But the good news was overshadowed by the frustrating fact that the world still can't get enough food and water to the hungry and thirsty.

The World Food Program said more than 250,000 ready-to-eat food rations had been distributed in by Tuesday, reaching only a fraction of the 3 million people thought to be in desperate need. There have been anecdotal reports of starvation among the old and infirm, but apparently no widespread starvation yet.

The WFP said it needs to deliver 100 million ready-to-eat rations in the next 30 days. Based on pledges from the , and , it has 16 million in the pipeline.

Even as US troops landed in Seahawk helicopters Tuesday on the manicured lawn of the ruined , the colossal efforts to help were proving inadequate because of the scale of the disaster and the limitations of the world's governments. Expectations exceeded what money, will and military might have been able to achieve.

So far, international relief efforts have been unorganized, disjointed and insufficient to satisfy the great need. Doctors Without Borders says a plane carrying urgently needed surgical equipment and drugs has been turned away five times, even though the agency received advance authorization to land.

A statement from Partners in Health, co-founded by the deputy UN envoy to , Dr. Paul Farmer, said the group's medical director estimated 20,000 people are dying each day who could be saved by surgery. No details were provided on how the figure was determined.


Related Content

Melina Bougedir, a French woman who joined ISIS, at her trial in Baghdad
February 19, 2018
French female ISIS fighter to be extradited following conviction in Iraq

By SHOSHANA KRANISH

Israel Weather
  • 8 - 20
    Beer Sheva
    10 - 19
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 8 - 16
    Jerusalem
    10 - 18
    Haifa
  • 13 - 25
    Elat
    10 - 22
    Tiberias