Mahmoud Abbas what 311.
(photo credit: Associated Press)
Palestinian opposition to the US proposal to freeze settlement construction for three months is behind the fact that Washington has not yet issued an official written draft of the proposal to Israel, a government official was quoted as saying Tuesday.
RELATED:US refuses to confirm offer of 20 F-35 fighter jetsCoalition likely to survive vote on incentive package
"The benefits that Israel is supposed to receive are not acceptable to the Palestinians because they prevent them from avoiding direct talks," Army Radio quoted the official as saying.
Earlier on Tuesday, Deputy Prime Minister Dan Meridor told Army Radio that the security cabinet will not vote on the proposal
until it is received in writing.
The Palestinian Authority has not yet officially received any
information on the proposed deal, PA spokesman
Nabil Abu Rudineh said on Tuesday, according to Army Radio.
Abu Rudineh added that the Palestinian Authority would not announce an
official position on the subject before PA President Mahmoud Abbas was
officially briefed by the Americans on the details of the proposal.
Palestinian chief negotiator Saeb Erekat added that reports on the
proposal do not include a freeze on building in east Jerusalem and
therefore it would be rejected by the Palestinians.
On Monday, Palestinian sources said that the Palestinian Authority is also expecting a package of incentives
from the US in return for resuming peace talks with Israel.