Official: French police chasing suspect in 1980 synagogue bombing

By
October 11, 2007 15:07

French police are on the trail of a suspect in a deadly bombing outside a Paris synagogue, a case that has gone unsolved for 27 years, a judicial official said Thursday. A bomb in the saddlebag of a motorbike killed four people and wounded nine on Oct. 3, 1980, at the synagogue on Rue Copernic in central Paris. The case has remained open since then. Investigators working off a recent lead believe the suspected bomber is a 55-year-old Lebanese-Canadian of Palestinian origin who spent time after the attack in the United States before moving to Canada, where he still lives, Le Figaro newspaper said. A judicial official confirmed some details of Le Figaro's report, while saying investigators were angry that word had been leaked to media, fearing it could jeopardize the investigation.


Related Content

Joan Rivers
August 28, 2014
Joan Rivers rushed to hospital following throat surgery

By JPOST.COM STAFF

Israel Weather
  • 12 - 22
    Beer Sheva
    15 - 20
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 11 - 19
    Jerusalem
    15 - 20
    Haifa
  • 17 - 29
    Elat
    14 - 27
    Tiberias