Muammar Gaddafi's son, Saif al-Islam, promised on Wednesday continued
resistance to Libyan forces which ousted his father from Tripoli, and
urged Libyans to wage a war of attrition against the National
Transitional Council and its NATO backers.
In a statement
broadcast on the Syrian-owned al-Rai satellite TV channel, Saif al-Islam
Gaddafi said he was speaking from a suburb of the Libyan capital and
vowed to "liberate the Green Square" in Tripoli from the NTC forces.
Libyan rebels set steps to elections within 18 months
Algeria under fire for taking in Gaddafi’s children
"We assure people we are here, ready and in good shape. Resistance is
continuing and victory is near," he said, adding that 20,000 armed
youths were ready for the NTC forces surrounding his father's hometown
Saif al-Islam Gaddafi also discussed the state of his father. "We would
like to assure people that we are steadfast and the commander is doing
He slammed NATO, which helped oust his father from
Tripoli by providing air support to rebels, saying the alliance was now
supporting a former al-Qaida member who he said had been appointed to a
senior position in the capital Tripoli. "You will regret this a lot," he
His comments contrasted with those from another Gaddafi son, Saadi, who
told al-Arabiya TV he had contacted a commander of the Libyan National
Transitional Council in Tripoli with authorization from his father as
part of efforts to stop the bloodshed in Libya.
"We were talking about negotiations based on ending bloodshed," Saadi
Gaddafi said referring to his telephone call with Abdel Hakim Belhadj,
the chief of anti-Gaddafi forces in Tripoli, adding he was officially
empowered to negotiate with the NTC.
"We acknowledge that they (the NTC) represent a legal party, but we are
also the government and a legal negotiating party," he said.
The head of Tripoli's military council told Reuters on Wednesday he had
promised Saadi Gaddafi 'decent treatment' if he surrenders.
"I spoke to him personally," Abdul Hakim Belhadj said. "He called and
revealed his intention to come on the side of the rebels (...) We told
Saadi we would guarantee him decent treatment in line with the human
rights, legal rights of any Libyan person."
US news network CNN earlier reported that Saadi denied he planned to surrender.