print gohome
jpost
 
Print Edition
Photo by: Courtesy
IDF troops return fire, kill Palestinian in West Bank
By BEN HARTMAN
29/01/2014
21-year-old Palestinian killed by soldiers after he opens fire on army post; attack comes two days after Shin Bet reports drastic rise in terror in 2013.
 
IDF troops shot dead a Palestinian man who opened fire at an army post in the West Bank on Wednesday.

The man, named by Palestinians as Muhammad Mubarak, 21, from the Jalazoun refugee camp near Ramallah, fired a dozen rounds at the outpost northeast of Ramallah near Ofra before he was cut down by return fire by the troops, according to the IDF.

The army said that the man died at the scene, and that it did not know how many times he was hit.

The IDF Spokesman’s Office said it did not know if the man was a member of any armed group or if he acted alone. It also could not confirm what sort of firearm he used in the attack.

It added that no soldiers were injured in the attack.

The Palestinian Information Ministry said the man had been unarmed and had been holding a stick or rod he was using to direct traffic.

After the shooting attack, the Judea and Samaria police closed off a nearby junction and a portion of Route 465 for an extended period of time while officers and security officials cleared the scene.

Wednesday’s incident took place two days after the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) published a report on terror attacks in 2013 that noted a sharp rise in attacks in the West Bank.

According to the report, in 2013 there were some 1,271 attacks in Judea and Samaria, compared to 578 in 2012. Of the six Israelis killed in terrorist attacks in 2013, five were the victims of attacks in Judea and Samaria.
print gohome
print
All rights reserved © 1995 - 2012 The Jerusalem Post.