Israel accepted France’s invitation to hold direct talks with the
in Paris next month, even as the Palestinians continued to threaten
pull out of the fledgling negotiations unless Israel halted West Bank
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas’s office said
that no decision had been made regarding an invitation French President
Sarkozy had extended to both sides.
Moratorium ends, but major building not expected
Abbas calls for Arab League meeting to consult on talks
At the request of the PA, the Arab
League ministers are scheduled to meet in Cairo on October 4 to decide whether
the Palestinians should pursue or suspend the peace talks with Israel, given
that Netanyahu allowed the 10-month moratorium on new construction in the
settlements to expire at midnight Sunday.
Although the Palestinians
initially threatened to stop the peace process at that point, they have delayed
any decision on the matter until next Monday.
On Tuesday, the
Palestinians continued to give Israel mixed messages when it came to the future
of direct talks, which were resumed early this month for the first time since
they were suspended in December 2008.
In an interview with a radio
station in Paris, Abbas said at one moment that he would give Israel one week
before he decided on his future steps, and at another that he would pull out of
the talks due to settlement construction.
“If the building continues, we
will have to put a stop to the talks,” Abbas was quoted by Agence France Press
as saying. “Netanyahu must know that peace is more important than
The Bethlehem-based Maan news agency quoted Abbas as saying
that he would take “historic decisions” on October 4. The PA president did not
Some understood the statement as a new threat to resign from
his post or quit the talks if Israel insisted on building in the
As part of the United States’s frenzied effort to broker a
compromise between the deadlocked positions of the two parties, US
George Mitchell arrived in Israel to hold meetings on Wednesday and
with leaders from both sides.
State Department spokesman Philip J. Crowley said that Mitchel would remain the region to hold talks with other regional leaders in advance of the October 4 meeting.
"There is a multilevel conversation going on. The Israelis, the Palestinians, others in the region, the United States, everyone is advancing ideas and formulas that we hope will convince the parties to stay in the negotiation and will convince countries in the region to continue to support this negotiation," Crowley said.
"We want the Palestinians to stay in the direct negotiations and we want the Israelis to demonstrate that it is in the Palestinian interest to stay in these negotiations," said Crowley.
Although the US has publicly called on Israel to extend the moratorium, Crowley on Tuesday said that the issue of settlements can best be solved through direct negotiations.
On Tuesday night, Mitchell held a private meeting
with Defense Minister Ehud Barak in Tel Aviv, and on Wednesday morning
to meet with Netanyahu.
Over the last few days, Netanyahu has spoken over
the phone with Sarkozy and US Secretary of State Hillary
Netanyahu, who, since talking office in the spring of 2009, has
always stated his desire to hold direct talks with the Palestinians,
Tuesday, “I hope that my good conversations with Abbas will continue. It
He told both Sarkozy and Clinton, “I believe with a full
heart that it is within our power to reach a framework agreement within a
and to change the history of the Middle East.”
In his conversation with
Sarkozy, Netanyahu agreed to travel to Paris next month to meet with
A government source added that Netanyahu was happy to meet Abbas
at any time and in any place.
“Ultimately we believe that the direct
dialogue between the two leaders has to be routine and regular for the
to succeed,” said the source.
But Nabil Sha’ath, a member of the
Palestinian delegation to the peace talks, told reporters Tuesday that
“settlements and peace are two parallels that do not meet. Israel must
between the two.”
Sha’ath said that the resumption of the new
construction work in West Bank settlements on Monday aimed not only to
Palestinian houses and deepen the occupation, but also to sabotage the
He reiterated the PA’s strong opposition to conducting
negotiations with Israel while the construction was under way in the
Sha’ath also said that the Palestinians would make a final
decision on the future of the talks after hearing what the Arab League
say on October 4.
Dani Dayan, who heads the Council of Jewish Communities
of Judea, Samaria and Gaza, said Tuesday he was “cautiously optimistic”
Netanyahu would hold firm to his stance that the moratorium was
“The situation today is completely different than it was two days
ago, when there was a big question mark if the freeze would be
The council has continued to lobby ministers to oppose any
initiative by Netanyahu to reinstate it, but to date, Dayan said, there
sign that the prime minister is attempting to drum up support for such a
Meanwhile, Syria’s Foreign Minister Walid Muallem told the UN
General Assembly in New York that “in Israel, there is much talk about
yet the drums of war continue to sound.”
He warned that Israel’s
continued settlement activities were about to make a two-state solution,
which Israel and Palestine would live side by side in peace, a “dead
stands no chance of survival.”
Nonetheless, Muallem said, Syria wants
peace and “is ready to resume peace negotiations from the point where
stopped through the Turkish mediator.”
He reiterated that a complete
Israeli withdrawal from the Golan Heights, which was captured in the
“is not negotiable, nor is it a bargaining chip.”
Netanyahu has not said
he is willing to cede the territory Syria wants.
Turkey mediated four
rounds of indirect peace negotiations between the two countries in 2008,
Syria suspended the talks in December of that year over Israel’s
offensive in Gaza.
AP contributed to this report.
Please LIKE our Facebook page - it makes us stronger: