WASHINGTON - Despite proclaiming a ceasefire, forces loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi are continuing to advance toward the eastern rebel stronghold of Benghazi, a US national security official said on Friday.RELATED:Cameron: UK to deploy planes for Libya operationForces loyal to Gaddafi shell west Libya's Misrata
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Reuters the troop movements were "purposeful." The troop movement assessment was based on official reporting reaching US national security agencies in Washington, he said.
The official also said the US agencies had confirmation that Gaddafi's forces were continuing to shell the western city of Misrata, where 25 people were reported killed on Friday by a doctor in the city.
The Libyan government has said its forces have conducted no military
operations since announcing the ceasefire earlier on Friday.
The US official said the developments suggested that while Gaddafi may
have pledged to uphold the ceasefire, military action against the rebels
Earlier on Friday, US President Barack Obama warned Gaddafi
to comply with UN demands for a cease-fire or face consequences that included military action.
Obama, laying out the rationale for deeper US involvement in Libya's
turmoil, said the United States would work with its partners to enforce
UN demands on Libya but promised that no US ground troops would be
involved and that the United States would not use force beyond