Palestinian terrorists in Gaza fired bursts of rocket fire into southern Israel throughout the second half of Monday, undermining reports of a 'ceasefire' and prompting local officials to shut schools for a third day in a row.
Classes have been cancelled in Ashdod, Beersheba, and Gan Yavne by municipalities and regional councils.RELATED:Palestinian
rocket fired from Gaza explodes near BeershebaIron Dome
battery moved south after Gaza-rocket
The school closures were accompanied by reminders sent by the authorities to residents on the need to remain in designated safe zones for a period of ten minutes following the sounding of an air raid siren.
Speaking at a Bnai Brith event in Jerusalem on Monday night the United States' Ambassador to Israel Dan Shapiro strongly condemned the continued rocket barrage.
"There is no excuse for attacking innocent civilians," Shapiro said. He added that the US supports Israel's right to defend its country and its citizens.
"The US and Israel stand together in their fight against terror," he said.
Meanwhile, Military Intelligence concluded that video released by Islamic Jihad of a truck-mounted rocket launcher firing several projectiles in successive was a forgery. The video had been released as part of a boast by the terror organization of improved rocket firing capabilities.
On Monday night, a Grad-type rocket fired at Beersheba was successfully intercepted by the Iron Dome anti-rocket shield, minutes after air raid sirens rang out across the Negev city.
Three additional rockets landed in open territory around Sderot and the Sha'ar Hanegev Regional Council Earlier, a rocket exploded south of Ashkelon, shattering a period of calm that had been in place since early Monday morning.
No injuries or damage were reported in any of the attacks.
Jerusalem Post Annual Conference. Buy it now, Special offer. Come meet Israel's top leaders