Shalom: Situation reminiscent of run-up to Cast Lead
LAST UPDATED: 03/23/2011 11:18
Vilna'i says "only a matter of time until we clash with Hamas again"; IDF strikes Grad launcher; '5 Gazan terrorists killed overnight.'
Smoke rises after IAF bombs in Gaza (Illustrative) Photo: Ibraheem Abu Mustafa / Reuters
Vice Premier Silvan
Shalom on Wednesday said the situation in Gaza was reminiscent of the
run-up Operation Cast Lead in 2009. Three Grad rockets, several Kassam
rockets and dozens of mortar shells have been fired into Israeli
territory in recent days.
"We may have to consider a return to
that operation," Shalom told Israel Radio. "I say this despite the fact
that I know such a thing would, of course, bring the region to a far
more combustible situation."
Two rockets explode in residential Beersheba; 1 injured
Hamas repeats commitment to keep unofficial truce
Israel vows to avenge Gaza mortar barrage
Mid-morning on Wednesday, the IDF struck a rocket launching cell in the
northern Gaza Strip that it said was responsible for a Grad attack on
Ashdod on Tuesday night. The IDF spokesperson said that it identified a
direct hit on the launcher, but reports suggested that the terrorists
managed to escape.
Palestinians reported that an Islamic Jihad operative was injured
Wednesday morning although it was not clear if he was involved in the
Shalom said Hamas might have opened a new front with Israel "to stop any
possibility of dialogue among the Palestinians or to come to the
intra-Palestinian negotiation in a far stronger position."
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas has made conciliatory
gestures towards Hamas in recent days, saying he is willing to come to
the Gaza Strip in order to reach a unity deal.
Homeland Security Minister Matan Vilna'i told Army Radio Wednesday
morning that another military confrontation with Hamas is inevitable.
"It's only a matter of time until we clash with Hamas again," the
minister said in an interview.
Following a Grad rocket strike on Ashod Tuesday night that did not
result in any injuries, the IDF struck several rocket launching and
terrorist cells in the Gaza Strip. According to Israeli and
Palestinian reports, upwards of five terrorists were killed in two IDF
At least nine Palestinians, including four civilians, were killed on
Tuesday in separate IDF attacks against targets in the Gaza Strip,
marking the bloodiest day in a week of escalating violence in the South.
On Tuesday evening, the IDF spotted a terror cell in the midst of preparing to launch a long-range rocket into Israel.
The IDF attacked the cell, killing four known terrorists who military
sources said were behind the Grad-model Katyusha attack on Beersheba
In the afternoon, IDF troops shot mortars into Gaza and accidentally hit
civilians in the northern town of Sajaya. The troops fired the mortars
after they came under mortar fire from a terror cell that was spotted in
a field near the town.
Palestinians reported that four people – aged 58, 12, 16 and 17 – were killed in the strike.
The IDF said that the Southern Command was investigating the incident,
but stressed that Hamas was responsible for choosing to operate from
within populated areas.
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu issued a statement Tuesday night
“expressing regret” at the loss of innocent life in Gaza, saying it was
According to the statement, Netanyahu stressed that the IDF
mortar-firing had been a reaction to Hamas shelling of Israeli
“It is unfortunate that Hamas continues to rain down dozens of rockets
on Israeli civilians intentionally, while using [their own] civilians as
human shields. Israel has no intention of bringing about a
deterioration of the situation, but at the same time, the IDF will
continue to act decisively to protect Israeli citizens,” the statement
Later Tuesday night, an official IDF spokesperson announcement said that
IDF aircraft fired on a terrorist in the northern Gaza Strip. The
statement said the terrorist was planning to send rockets in the
direction of Ashdod.
A short time earlier, four Kassam rockets exploded in open fields in the
Sha’ar Hanegev region. No injuries or damages were reported.
Hamas said in a statement that it would respond strongly to Israel’s actions.
Reuters, Yaakov Katz, Khaled Abu Toameh, and Herb Keinon contributed to this report.
Stay on top of the news - get the Jerusalem Post headlines direct to your inbox!