PM Benjamin Netanyahu speaks at the AIPAC Policy Conference in Washington. (Brian Snyder/Reuters).
(photo credit: REUTERS/BRIAN SNYDER)
Steny Hoyer, a democratic US Representative for Maryland who also serves as House majority leader, addressed AIPAC’s annual policy conference Sunday night.
Hoyer has been historically supportive of AIPAC and Israel for the majority of his tenure. Last night he spoke in favor of Israel once again, along with many other speakers following similar agendas. Hoyer spoke about comments made by Ilhan Omar, his work in Congress to push back nominated initiatives border-lining BDS as well as the importance of the relationship between the United States and Israel, including the importance of how the outlook on the two democracies have on the rest of the world.
AIPAC describes its conference as a "rich educational experience and inspirational booster shot."
"Attendees will hear keynote speeches by American and Israeli leaders, attend intimate educational sessions, and be wowed by moving stories of US-Israel partnerships, Israeli heroism, and groundbreaking Israeli innovations that are changing our world," according to the AIPAC website.
Here are Hoyer's top five statements from Sunday night at AIPAC's conference:
1. "I am not Jewish, nor do I do represent a large Jewish constituency. But I have visited Israel fifteen times, and I have seen the courage of its people and their enduring spirit to make their country flourish."
2. "This is where AIPAC plays such a critical role. You are the educators and informers about Israel’s complexity and commitment to democracy. So, let’s have debates on policy instead of impugning the loyalty of Israel’s supporters."
3. "Israel remains a beachhead of freedom and representative government. In Israel’s democracy, where rule of law is upheld and freedom of expression is assured, Americans see a mirror image of our own."
4. "I stand with Israel, proudly and unapologetically. So when someone accuses American supporters of dual loyalty, I say: accuse me."
5. "When the curtain is pulled back, everyone can see what the [BDS] movement truly is: a front for delegitimizing the Jewish people’s right to self-determination."
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>