Commander, soldier convicted in shooting of Palestinian

Military court finds the two guilty in Ni'lin shooting incident.

July 16, 2010 02:08
1 minute read.
LT.-COL. Omri Burbag sits yesterday in a Tel Aviv military court, which convicted him and one of his

Burbag 311. (photo credit: Ariel Schalit)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

An IDF battalion commander who ordered a soldier to fire a rubber bullet at point-blank range at a handcuffed and blindfolded Palestinian was convicted of violating behavioral norms Thursday in a Tel Aviv military court.

The soldier who shot the Palestinian was also found guilty of unbecoming conduct and unlawful use of a weapon.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The shooting took place on July 7, 2008, on the outskirts of the village of Ni’ilin, near Ramallah, where Palestinian demonstrators have been holding regular demonstrations against the construction of the nearby security fence. In the incident, soldiers imposed a curfew and fired tear gas and stun grenades to disperse the protesters.

Lt.-Col. Omri Burbag, commander of Armored Battalion 71, was caught on video leading the blindfolded and handcuffed Palestinian to a military jeep, where the soldier was then seen raising his weapon and discharging a shot. The soldier claimed that Burbag had ordered him to fire, but the officer told investigators that all he had told the soldier to do was “shake his gun” to scare the detainee. The prisoner was wounded in his foot.

Burbag had initially been charged by Military Advocate- General Brig.-Gen.
Avichai Mandelblit with inappropriate military conduct, a lesser charge, which prompted human rights groups to petition the High Court of Justice.

Mandelblit added threats and behavior unbefitting a commander to the charge sheet, and he was convicted of these on Thursday.

On Thursday, the judges wrote in their decision that Burbag’s conduct constituted a serious deviation from IDF norms and values.

“This detracts from the standing of the IDF, its commanders and soldiers,” the judges wrote in their decision.

B’Tselem – The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories, which distributed the video of the shooting, welcomed the court’s ruling as “important, both as a measure of justice for the victim, as well as for the deterrent message it sends to soldiers and commanders.”

Related Content

Sarah Silverman
August 26, 2014
Jewish women take home gold at 2014 Emmys