BENGHAZI- At least seven people were killed and dozens wounded in clashes on Saturday between protesters and a Libyan militia operating with Defence Ministry approval in the eastern city of Benghazi, a doctor in the city said.
Residents said dozens of protesters had demonstrated outside the headquarters of the Libya Shield brigade demanding the disbanding of militias who have yet to lay down their weapons nearly two years after the overthrow of longtime dictator Muammar Gaddafi.
A doctor at a Benghazi hospital said he had counted seven dead from the clashes and "dozens" of wounded.
Resentment against the militias, some of which have been co-opted or licensed by a central government whose own forces are too weak to maintain security, has been growing in recent months, especially after militiamen laid siege to ministries in Tripoli last month to force their will on the National Assembly.
The Libya Shield brigade is made up of former rebel fighters who say they are aligned with the Defense Ministry.