Activist: Spanish journalist flees Syria to Lebanon

By REUTERS
February 29, 2012 21:10

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BEIRUT - Spanish journalist Javier Espinosa, one of several Westerners who was trapped in the besieged Baba Amro district of Homs, has crossed from Syria into neighboring Lebanon, an activist with the campaign group Avaaz said on Wednesday.

"Javier Espinosa is on Lebanese soil, though he hasn't yet made it to 100 percent safety," Avaaz activist Wissam Tarif told Reuters, without giving details.

Tarif said Edith Bouvier, a wounded French freelance correspondent, and French photographer William Daniels were still in Homs, which has endured 25 days of siege and fierce bombardment by Syrian army forces.

Bouvier's femur was shattered during heavy shelling of Homs's rebel-held Baba Amro district which killed veteran Sunday Times war correspondent Marie Colvin and French photographer Remi Ochlik last week.

Espinosa's escape came a day after British photographer Paul Conroy, who was also wounded in the Feb. 22 shelling, was smuggled into Lebanon by activists in an operation in which some of his rescuers were killed.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 17, 2018
U.S. Coast Guard seizes $500 million worth of cocaine

By REUTERS