Afghan elders ask Taliban to release villagers after attack

By REUTERS
August 8, 2017 17:30
2 minute read.
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

SAR-E PUL, Afghanistan - Afghan village elders are trying to arrange the release of around 150 families held by Taliban fighters in a remote area of the northern province of Sar-e Pul while they await for security forces to arrive, officials said on Tuesday.

Provincial governor Zahir Wahdat said authorities were still waiting for the arrival of reinforcements to retake Mirza Olang village, which was overrun by insurgent fighters at the weekend with as many as 50 local people killed.

"We have a limited number of forces who are only able to defend their areas when there is an attack until they get reinforcements," he said.

"We have sent some people including elders and people from Mirza Olang area to convince the Taliban to free around 150 captured families and give us the dead bodies of villagers," he said. Government forces would launch a "massive operation" to get the district back if that approach failed, he said.

According to locals who arrived in the provincial capital Sar-e Pul, a large insurgent force attacked the village where local informal militia forces had been inflicting heavy casualties on the Taliban for months.

Some 330 families had escaped the area after warnings from the Taliban but most of the civilians killed in the incident died while trying to leave.

President Ashraf Ghani promised "revenge" for the attack but the incident underlines the precarious security situation across much of Afghanistan, where militant and bandit groups defy central government authority in many areas.

According to US military estimates, only 60 percent of the country is in government hands with the rest either controlled by the Taliban or left in a limbo outside of either insurgent or government control.

Local officials said the Mirza Olang attack, one of the most serious of its kind for some time, was carried out by Taliban and Islamic State militants operating together.

The Taliban has rejected that allegation, saying a group under one of its commanders carried out the attack. However, local villagers reported seeing fighters carrying both the white banner of the Taliban and the black banner of Islamic State.

The Taliban, fighting to install strict Islamic law and drive foreign forces out of Afghanistan, has fiercely opposed the local version of Islamic State since its appearance in Afghanistan in 2015.

But any sign of the two groups joining forces would alarm Western governments concerned that as insecurity rises in Afghanistan, the country could once again become a base for militant groups aiming to strike foreign targets.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 16, 2018
Colorado baker in case of Supreme Court sues state over 'persecution'

By REUTERS