CAIRO - Egyptian Finance Minister Hazem el-Beblawi has quit after less than three months in the post over the government's handling of a protest by Coptic Christians on Sunday night, an aide to Beblawi said on Tuesday.
The protest ended with clashes between the army and demonstrators that killed 25 people, making it the deadliest outbreak of violence since the ousting of Mubarak in February, and sparked anger among Copts and rights activists.
Beblawi was appointed in July by the ruling military council which took power after the overthrow of former president Hosni Mubarak earlier this year. His resignation was confirmed by state news agency MENA.
Beblawi resigned "in protest at the government's handling of the events at Maspero," the aide said, referring to the area of Cairo where the clashes took place.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>