Algeria says four of its diplomats still held in Mali

By REUTERS
July 16, 2012 03:19

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

ALGIERS - Algeria confirmed on Sunday that three of its diplomats, abducted by Islamist rebels in northern Mali in April, had been freed, but said the remaining four were still being held.

An Algerian security source and a Malian Islamist told Reuters on Friday that all seven diplomats had been released but there was no official comment on the matter until Sunday.

"I can say that three of our diplomats have been freed and are back home. What I can say also is that we are hopeful to see all seven diplomats handed over as quickly as possible," Foreign Minister Mourad Medelci told a news conference.

Algeria said in April its diplomats - a consul and six consular staff - were kidnapped from Gao, part of a swathe of territory in northern Mali then under the control of Tuareg-led separatists who had pushed out the military in a rebellion launched in January.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 15, 2018
Key Israeli docs confirm extent of Iranian nuke plan revealed by Netanyahu

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF