American al-Qaida suspect freed by Spanish judge

September 30, 2010 18:09


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


MADRID — A Spanish judge ordered the release of a US citizen of Algerian origin who was detained on suspicion of financing al-Qaida's North Africa affiliate on Thursday. The judge cited a lack of evidence, but the investigation is continuing.

Judge Santiago Pedraz took away suspect Mohamed Omar Dehbi's passport and barred him from leaving Spain. He ordered him to check in with police daily.Dehbi was arrested Tuesday in a Barcelona suburb. Pedraz said there was insufficient evidence to back up police allegations that Dehbi financed al-Qaida by sending money to an associate in Algeria who is wanted in Spain on terror-related charges.

Dehbi's name was originally given in error as Debhi by Spanish authorities.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
May 24, 2019
Bomb kills at least one during Friday prayers at mosque in Afghan capital