Amnesty: Sudan protesters killed by automatic rifle fire

August 3, 2012 19:51


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

KHARTOUM - Eight Sudanese protesters killed this week at an anti-government demonstration in the Darfur region were shot with live ammunition used in automatic rifles, Amnesty International said, citing medical sources.

Police have said they were forced to act when Tuesday's protest escalated, but exercised only minimum force. They did not say whether they had fired live ammunition.

Sudan said eight people had been killed during the clashes between police and protesters in Nyala, Darfur's biggest town. Activists have published names of 12 people they say were killed in the worst violence since anti-government protests broke out in June.

"The Sudanese security forces must not be allowed to police demonstrations in such a reckless manner and with flagrant disregard for human life," the UK-based Amnesty International said in a statement late on Thursday.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 18, 2018
IDF: sirens in Ashkelon were a false alarm