SEATTLE — An Army appeals court has halted the case against a US soldier who is among five charged in the alleged thrill killings of three Afghan civilians earlier this year.
Pfc. Andrew Holmes, of Boise, Idaho, faced a preliminary hearing this week to determine whether there's enough evidence to send his case to a court martial. His lawyer, Dan Conway, objected because the Army barred him from showing gruesome photographs which he says help prove that his client did not kill one of the civilians.
Conway asked the Army Court of Criminal Appeals to step in and halt the proceedings or order the Army to let him present the photos. The court ordered a stay on Friday and told the Army to respond to Conway's arguments within 20 days.
Conway provided a copy of the order to The Associated Press on Saturday.