At least 12 migrants die in stormy seas off Libya

By REUTERS
November 2, 2016 20:49
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

ROME - At least 12 migrants died off the coast of Libya on Wednesday after they put to sea in stormy weather, the Italian coastguard said, adding that many others might have died in the incident.

Some 29 people were rescued when their rubber dinghy started to take in water 25 miles (40 km) north of Libya. An Italian navy helicopter took part in the rescue operation, helping ferry survivors to safety.

"The dinghy was put to sea despite very bad weather at the time," said a coastguard spokesman in Italy.

Twelve bodies were recovered, but it was not clear how many people might have originally been on the boat and rescuers are continuing to sweep the area in search of other possible victims.

Human smugglers often cram as many as 100 migrants onto the unsafe dinghies before pushing them out to sea. Once the migrants reach international waters they call for help by satellite phone.

More than 3,740 migrant deaths have been recorded this year in the central Mediterranean, nearly matching the death toll recorded for all of 2015.

Over the first 10 months of the year, almost 155,000 migrants have reached Italy, most of them from sub-Saharan Africa. This is the same number as for all of last year, but down on the 170,000 arrivals registered in 2014.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 20, 2018
Senior Chinese diplomat says warmly welcomes inter-Korean summit

By REUTERS, REUTERS