At least 18 Iraqi army officers killed in ambush

By REUTERS
December 21, 2013 15:02
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

RAMADI - At least 18 Iraqi military officers were killed in an ambush on Saturday in the Sunni Muslim-dominated province of Anbar, military sources said.

The commander of the army's Seventh Division as well as the commander of its 28th Brigade and several other high-ranking officers were among those killed in the attack, the sources said. Another 32 soldiers were wounded.

It was not immediately clear why so many senior officers were in an area controlled largely by Sunni militants linked to al-Qaida, but some sources suggested they had come to document a recent military victory nearby.

Multiple sources said three suicide bombers wearing explosive belts detonated themselves among the officers inside a deserted house in the western town of Rutba, 360 km (225 miles) west of Baghdad.

"All that we know so far is three suicide bombers wearing explosive vests came from nowhere and detonated themselves among the officers," a military officer who was at the scene told Reuters by phone.

Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki ordered troops in the area to launch an operation to pursue the militants who carried out the attack, the sources said.

No group immediately claimed responsibility, but suicide bombing is the trademark of al-Qaida's Iraqi affiliate, which merged this year with its Syrian counterpart to form the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 20, 2018
Russia's Putin, despite sanctions, still hopes for better U.S. ties

By REUTERS