At least 27 dead in "terror" attack at Chinese train station

By REUTERS
March 1, 2014 20:11

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BEIJING - At least 27 people have been killed in a "violent attack" at a train station in the southwestern Chinese city of Kunming carried out by a group of unidentified people brandishing knives, the Chinese state news agency Xinhua said on Sunday.

Another 109 were injured, the report added. It said the attack had taken place late on Saturday evening.

State television said on its official microblog that the incident had been deemed a "violent terror attack".

Pictures on the Twitter-like microblogging service Sina Weibo showed bodies covered in blood lying on the ground at the station.

There was no immediate word on who was responsible.

State television said on its official microblog that domestic security chief Meng Jianzhu was on his way to the scene.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 21, 2018
Danon to Security Council: Hamas is solely responsible for Gaza escalation

By JPOST.COM STAFF