At least four die as violence flares in eastern Turkey

September 5, 2015 20:12
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


ANKARA - Clashes between Kurdish militants and security forces in eastern Turkey killed at least four people on Saturday in the latest flare up of violence since the collapse in July of a two-year-old ceasefire.

One civilian was killed and a district official from the ruling AK Party was wounded by Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) fighters in Semdinli district of Hakkari province, close to Turkey's borders with Iraq and Iran, security sources said.The attack happened after a car carrying the two victims refused to stop at a roadblock thrown up by the outlawed PKK, and the militants opened fire.

In the town of Cizre, two people were killed in clashes between security forces and suspected PKK militants, according to the town's mayor, Leyla Imret.

"Many others are wounded," she told a Kurdish TV station, without giving further details. Gunfire and explosions were heard in the town on Saturday.

Clashes between Turkish troops and the militants, who have bases in the mountains of nearby northern Iraq, have become a daily occurrence since the ceasefire fell apart, leaving peace negotiations to end the 30-year-old insurgency in tatters.

Authorities on Friday imposed a curfew in Cizre district in a bid to disrupt the PKK, local media reported.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
January 16, 2019
U.S. set to start withdraw from nuclear treaty with Russia