Attack in western Ivory Coast kills at least five

By REUTERS
April 26, 2012 01:56

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

ABIDJAN - Gunmen killed at least five people in an overnight attack on a border town in southwestern Ivory Coast, humanitarian and military officials said on Wednesday.

Unidentified armed men burned houses, looted shops and terrorized villagers during the two-hour assault on the remote town of Sakre on the country's western border with Liberia.

"There were five or six killed. Around 2,000 people have fled," an aid worker operating in the area told Reuters, asking not to be named.

It was the third such attack in the forested Tai region since September and came a day after Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara wrapped up a tour of the volatile west aimed at healing divisions in the world's top cocoa producer following a four-month civil war last year.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 14, 2018
Italy motorway bridge collapses over Genoa, 'dozens' feared dead

By REUTERS