Australia: 230 suspected jihadis prevented from flying to ME since February

By JPOST.COM STAFF
March 25, 2015 09:25

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

In the past month, 230 Australian nationals were prevented from leaving Australia out of fears of joining radical jihadi groups in the Middle East such as Islamic State, according to Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott.

In an address to parliament, Abbott said that security forces stopped 86,000 people for questioning at various airports around the country.

According to Australian media, among those prevented from leaving the country was a 17-year-old boy who attempted to fly to Turkey from Sydney without his parents. He was removed from a flight after it was determined by counter-terrorism officers that he was planning to join Islamic State. His removal took place days after two other teenage boys were stopped at the airport while trying to fly unaccompanied to the Middle East. 

“He was on his way to conflict in the Middle East and it comes off the back of two individuals 16 and 17-year-olds ... who had been intercepted by counter-terrorism unit officers just before that,” said Australian Immigration Minister Peter Dutton.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 15, 2018
Dozens of casualties reported after Taliban attack on Afghan base

By REUTERS