Australia to boost defence spending by $21 billion, buy 12 new submarines

By REUTERS
February 25, 2016 03:15

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Australia said on Thursday it will increase defense spending by nearly A$30 billion ($21.57 billion) over the next 10 years, seeking to protect the country's interests as the United States and its allies grapple with China's rise in the Asia-Pacific region.

As part of the expansion, Australia committed to a continuous naval shipbuilding program to build nine new frigates and 12 offshore patrol vessels, as well as acquire 12 new submarines, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said. The supplier of the submarines will determined later this year.

Reuters reported earlier this month the competition for the A$50 billion ($36 billion)contract to build Australia's next submarine fleet is narrowing to a race between Japan and France.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 21, 2018
Mladenov: Hospitals and sewage plants are functioning again in Gaza

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF