Australian forced off French beach over burkini ban

By REUTERS
September 20, 2016 12:46
2 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

MELBOURNE- An Australian woman was forced off a beach on the French Riviera after beachgoers objected to her wearing a full-body swimsuit, or "burkini," images broadcast on Australian television showed.

Zeynab Alshelh traveled from Sydney several weeks ago with her parents to show solidarity with Muslims in France, equipped with Australian-designed burkinis in the French national colors to give away.

As she and her mother, clad in blue burkinis, and her father settled down under a large pink beach umbrella, a man threatened to call police and a blonde woman gave the family a thumbs-down, the footage from Australia's Channel Seven showed.

"It's upsetting, it's not fair," she told the program that aired on Sunday.

"We were threatened by locals to leave the beach and if we didn't, they were going to call the police. They weren't happy with us being there. They are seeing something that is not there."

Channel Seven did not immediately respond to a request from Reuters for comment.

A judge in the Mediterranean city of Nice this month declared the prohibition of the full-body swimwear to be illegal there, in the latest setback to attempts to ban burkini-clad women from the beaches of the Riviera.

Nice, where 86 people died in an Islamic State militant attack in July, was one of about 30 towns in the largely right-wing part of the country to ban the burkini on the grounds that it presented a threat to public order.

"I thought the ban was ridiculous. It just doesn't make sense to me, there's no connection at all between the burkini and these terrorist acts," the Australian woman said.

The controversy over the swimwear, coupled with several Islamist militant attacks in France since January 2015, has filtered into early campaigning for the April 2017 presidential election, making French cultural identity and security highly-charged issues.

The Australian designer of the burkini, predominantly worn by Muslim women, told Reuters last month that sales of the garment had increased after three French cities banned it.

"Why would they ban something when I designed a swimsuit that was part of integration with the Australian lifestyle?" the designer, Aheda Zanetti, told the program.

Zanetti estimated that 40 percent of her sales go to non-Muslim women, with cancer survivors, body conscious mothers or women who want to protect their skin from the sun among them.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 18, 2018
Erdogan to challenge those playing 'games' with economy

By REUTERS