Australian teen arrested on terror-related charges in Sydney

By REUTERS
January 27, 2016 00:15
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

PERTH - An 18-year old Australian man has been arrested and charged with collecting documents about how to carry out terrorist acts, police in Sydney said on Tuesday.

Sameh Bayda was arrested on Monday evening, and he appeared in criminal court in western Sydney via video link on Tuesday, the Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported.

Police had found him in possession of material providing instructions both for stabbing attacks and the use of improvised explosive devices, ABC said, citing documents tabled in court.

One of the documents was allegedly published by al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, the ABC reported.

Bayda appeared in court via a video-link due to a national holiday. He didn't apply for bail and was formally refused it by the court. He is scheduled to appear again early next month.

Australia has been on heightened alert for attacks from home-grown radicals since 2014.

Last month a 17-year-old Melbourne man pleaded guilty to a terrorism-related charge after explosives were found at his home. A week earlier two young men were charged with conspiracy to attack government buildings after they were arrested during counter-terrorism raids in Sydney.

Police seized a number of items from Bayda's home on January 13 when he was served with a Firearm Prohibition Order, they said in a statement. Under new laws introduced in New South Wales state in late 2013, police can search any person, vehicle or home with this order without seeking a warrant.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 19, 2018
White House rejects Putin proposal to interview U.S. citizens

By REUTERS