Australian woman freed by al-Qaida says her husband is still alive

By REUTERS
February 8, 2016 14:45

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

OUAGADOUGOU- An Australian woman who was freed by al-Qaida after three weeks in captivity said on Monday her husband who was seized with her in Burkina Faso was still alive and she hoped he too would be released soon.

Jocelyn Elliott, 76, gave no further details of the couple's captivity but her comment provided the first confirmation that her husband, Dr Ken Elliott, 81, was still alive.

The couple were seized on Jan. 15 from the town of Djibo near Burkina Faso's border with Mali where they have operated a 120-bed clinic for over 40 years.

"I really hope to be with my husband soon so that we can again go to Djibo and continue (our work)," she told journalists after meeting Burkina Faso President Roch Marc Kabore.

Al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) said last week it had kidnapped the couple and would release the woman unconditionally due to public pressure and guidance from al-Qaida leaders not to involve women in war.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 21, 2018
Former Trump campaign chairman Manafort found guilty on eight counts

By REUTERS