Austria: EU-wide halt in arms sale to Saudi Arabia needed

By REUTERS
October 26, 2018 01:07
2 minute read.
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BERLIN - The European Union should halt arms sales to Saudi Arabia following the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, Austrian Foreign Minister Karin Kneissl told a German newspaper, saying such action could also help end "the terrible war in Yemen".

The comments from Austria, current president of the EU, came after Germany said it would stop approving weapons exports to Saudi Arabia until Khashoggi's death at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul is cleared up. Chancellor Angela Merkel's government is also discussing how to deal with sales that have already been approved.Referring to the wider EU, Kneissl told Die Welt newspaper: "The halt in arms deliveries proposed by Chancellor Merkel would be a correct signal." Austria had already stopped sending military equipment to Saudi Arabia in March 2015, she added.

France and Britain - which will leave the EU in March - are major arms suppliers to Riyadh.

President Emmanuel Macron told King Salman on Wednesday that France, in coordination with partners, could take action against those held responsible for the murder.

However, since coming to power last year Macron has largely ignored protests over arms sales he deems vital to jobs and France's strategic relationships in the region. French arms deals with Riyadh totalled 1.5 billion euros ($1.7 billion) last year.

The European Parliament adopted a resolution on Thursday calling on member states to impose an EU-wide arms embargo on Saudi Arabia.

Merkel spoke to the king on Thursday, condemning the killing and saying Germany was ready to take "appropriate measures" along with international partners, her chancellery said.



Kneissl said the war in Yemen and a crisis in relations between Qatar and Saudi Arabia and its Arab allies should prompt joint EU action. "If we as the entire EU stop weapons deliveries to Saudi Arabia, that could help end these conflicts," she told the newspaper.

A Saudi-led coalition that intervened in Yemen's war in 2015 has conducted frequent air strikes targeting the Iran-aligned Houthi group and has often hit civilians, although it denies doing so intentionally.

The war has killed more than 10,000 people, displaced more than 2 million and driven Yemen to the verge of widespread famine.

Saudi Arabia's public prosecutor said on Thursday that Khashoggi's murder earlier this month was premeditated, reversing previous official statements that the killing was unintended.

Kneissl described the case as "profoundly shocking" and an unprecedented violation of law, but said it marked the culmination of two years of "massive deterioration in the human rights situation in Saudi Arabia".

The Austrian foreign ministry confirmed the remarks were accurate, but had no further comment.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
June 26, 2019
Six Egyptian security forces killed in attacks in Sinai - reports

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF

Cookie Settings