Bahrain's main opposition quits national dialogue

By REUTERS
July 17, 2011 16:44

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

DUBAI - Bahrain's largest Shi'ite opposition group Wefaq said on Sunday it planned to pull out of a national dialogue set up by the government, which aims to heal divisions and offer reforms after mass pro-democracy protests rocked the Gulf island kingdom earlier this year.

"The Wefaq board decided to pull out of the so-called National Consensus Dialogue and submitted its decision to the Wefaq Shura council (upper council) for ratification. The Wefaq team will not attend today's (dialogue) session," Khalil al-Marzouq, spokesman for Wefaq, told Reuters.

Wefaq had complained for weeks the opposition had been given too small a fraction of seats -- 35 out of 300 -- and was overpowered by pro-government representatives. The government says it distributed seats in a way that was representative of Bahraini society.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 14, 2018
Bomb kills two in crowded Baghdad market

By REUTERS