Barak: I don't agree to Hamas' terms on Schalit deal

By JPOST.COM STAFF
June 25, 2011 23:52

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Defense Minister Ehud Barak responded Saturday to reports that he was in favor of signing a prisoner exchange deal with Hamas, while Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu was holding up the deal, an allegation made by Gilad Schalit's grandfather, Zvi, earlier in the day.

A Defense Ministry statement said, "Contrary to reports, Minister Ehud Barak does not accept Hamas's stance in relation to the terms of the [Schalit] deal." The statement added, "As Defense Minister Barak has said many times in the past, every possible and suitable move should be taken in order to bring about the release of Gilad, but not at any price. Barak, the statement said, "sees the importance of continuing and finding a way to formulate a deal that meets Israel's basic demands."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 25, 2018
Report: Instagram co-founders step down from company

By REUTERS