Barak: Israel unlikely to extend current settlement curbs

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
September 5, 2010 16:55

JERUSALEM — A slowdown in West Bank settlement construction is unlikely to continue in its current form after it expires at the end of this month, Defense Minister Ehud Barak said Sunday.

However, Barak said he does not believe Israel will cancel entirely the 10-month curbs. Barak appeared to be leaving room for a compromise that might allow the Palestinians to continue the fragile direct negotiations that began in Washington last week.Barak noted that Israel had permitted limited construction in settlements during the slowdown and he expects some construction to continue after the September 26 deadline.


Related Content

Breaking news
October 18, 2019
Kurdish-led SDF: Turkish forces shelling is ceasefire violation

By REUTERS

Cookie Settings