Barzilai pagan graves finally due to be moved

By
May 15, 2010 21:00
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Earthwork to remove the pagan graves near Ashkelon’s Barzilai Medical Center and finally begin construction of the hospital’s reinforced emergency department was due to begin on Sunday, under the close watch of large numbers of security forces including anti-terror squads.

Israel Medical Association chairman Dr. Leonid Eidelman said on Saturday night that the Israel Police told him it would act with determination to prevent haredi rioters from interfering with the work.Atra Kadisha, an extreme haredi group that opposes the movement of bones and claims those near Barzilai belonged to Jews, is supported in this matter by Deputy Health Minister Ya’acov Litzman, a Gur hassid, who demanded that the emergency department be built elsewhere. He persuaded the cabinet to support him, but after public outrage over the much greater expense, the longer delays and the unsuitability of the alternate site, Prime Minister (and formally health minister) Binyamin Netanyahu held a revote, and the decision was changed.



Eidelman expressed his satisfaction that the much-delayed construction of the facility - to protect patients, staffers and visitors from rocket attacks from nearby Gaza - would now begin. He toured the site last week with other IMA executives. He feared that hospital staffers might be harmed by demonstrators, but the police said it would do all it could to protect all innocent people.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
January 19, 2019
Obama donor imprisoned for $292 mln bank fraud seeks early release

By REUTERS