Berlusconi says opposition lawmakers offered gov't support

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
December 15, 2010 17:37

ROME — Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi said Wednesday that several opposition lawmakers had offered to support his government, a day after his narrow survival of confidence votes in parliament provoked violent protests in Rome.

Rome's mayor estimated the damage from the rampage at €20 million ($26.5 million), with shop windows shattered, cars torched and streets pocked with holes where cobblestones had been ripped out and used as weapons.Berlusconi denounced the violence but didn't let it detract from savoring his victory over Gianfranco Fini, a former ally who had tried to bring the government down. The premier's success attested to his ability to survive against the odds and dealt a blow to a direct competitor for Italy's conservative leadership.


Related Content

Breaking news
October 16, 2019
Turkey-Syria cooperation must be based on cross-border Adana accord

By REUTERS

Cookie Settings