Bodies of 21 women, one man found on migrant boat in Mediterranean

By REUTERS
July 21, 2016 00:30

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

ROME - The bodies of 21 women and one man were found on a rubber dinghy adrift in the central Mediterranean on Wednesday, humanitarian group Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) said.

An MSF ship patrolling the Mediterranean came across two dinghies in distress and rescued 209 people, including 50 children. The 22 bodies were retrieved from one of the dinghies.

"When our team approached the first dinghy, they saw dead bodies lying at the bottom of the boat in a pool of fuel," Jens Pagotto, MSF Head of Mission for Search and Rescue Operations, said in a statement.

"The survivors had been on the boat with the bodies of these women for hours on end. Many are too traumatized from what they have endured to be able to talk about what had happened. It's still unclear exactly how these women died."

Related Content

Breaking news
August 21, 2018
Bahrain says stops issuing visas for Qatari nationals

By REUTERS