Body of Nazi war criminal stays at military airport after funeral halted

By REUTERS
October 16, 2013 12:07

ROME - The body of convicted Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke lay at a military airport near Rome and its final destination remained unclear on Wednesday, a day after rival groups of protesters forced a suspension of his funeral.

Priebke, a former German SS officer, died aged 100 last week in Rome, where he had been serving a life sentence under house arrest for his role in the killing of 335 civilians in 1944 in caves near the capital, one of Italy's worst wartime massacres.

The mayor of Rome, Ignazio Marino, said Italian authorities may now seek help from the German government.

Marino said the body had been brought to the military airport at Pratica di Mare from the town of Albano Laziale, where clashes between angry residents and neo-Nazi visitors prevented the funeral going ahead on Tuesday.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 21, 2018
IDF strikes Gaza infrastructure used to launch incendiary kites

By JPOST.COM STAFF