Brazil probe finds suspect deposits in Bolsonaro son's account

By REUTERS
January 19, 2019 03:54
2 minute read.
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later



SAO PAULO, Jan 18 - Brazilian financial authorities have identified dozens of cash transfers worth almost 100,000 reais ($26,665) that were deposited over the course of a month into the account of the president's son, according to a TV newscast on Friday.

The report on the National Journal, Brazil's main nightly news program, said that the Council for Financial Activities Control (COAF) had identified 48 deposits made into the account of former Rio de Janeiro state lawmaker and Senator-elect Flavio Bolsonaro, the son of President Jair Bolsonaro.



Each of the deposits, made between June 9 and July 13, 2007, was for 2,000 reais, and several of them were made in an ATM inside Rio's state legislative assembly, the National Journal said, quoting a COAF report it said it obtained exclusively. The COAF did not immediately respond to a request for comment.



The news show quoted the COAF report as saying that it was impossible to identify who had made the deposits, but the fact that many were for the same amount suggested whoever had done so was trying to obscure the origin of the funds.



The latest revelation is a new embarrassment for Jair Bolsonaro, a far-right nationalist who took office on Jan. 1 vowing to stamp out endemic graft and show zero tolerance to corruption within his government.



The supreme court this week agreed to a request from Flavio Bolsonaro's lawyers to suspend a probe into suspicious payments to his former driver, Fabricio Queiroz. Flavio's lawyers argued that, as a senator-elect, he now enjoys certain legal protections, including that any case involving him should only be decided by the top court.



The court's decision was widely slammed and handed ammunition to critics who noted that Bolsonaro and his politician sons have regularly railed against the immunity from prosecution that politicians enjoy - and which Flavio invoked.



The scandal arose last month when the COAF identified 1.2 million reais ($305,000) that flowed through the bank account of Queiroz in 2016-17. Some payments were made to the president's wife, Michelle.



Flavio Bolsonaro, his father and Queiroz have all said they are innocent of any crime. Jair Bolsonaro has said the payment to his wife was Queiroz repaying a personal loan.



In a TV interview on Friday, taped before the newscast, Flavio Bolsonaro defended his right to take his case to the supreme court, denied accusations he had been running a phantom employee scheme and said investigators had looked into his bank accounts without legal authority.

"I'm not hiding behind the right to immunity from prosecution," he said. "I have nothing to hide from anybody."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
July 21, 2019
50-year-old female killed in Dimona car accident

By JPOST.COM STAFF

Cookie Settings