Bridge fire, collapse shuts main highway from LA to Las Vegas

By REUTERS
May 6, 2014 22:50
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

LOS ANGELES - The main highway between Southern California and Las Vegas remained shut on Tuesday, backing up traffic for miles a day after a bridge fire and collapse forced officials to close the busy interstate in both directions.

The overpass, which had been under construction over Interstate-15 near the high desert community of Hesperia, some 70 miles northeast of Los Angeles, caught fire during construction on Monday, said Officer Matt Hunt of the California Highway Patrol.The fire and subsequent collapse of the bridge forced officials to close the interstate in both directions, cutting off the main artery between Southern California and Las Vegas, as well as other destinations in Nevada and Utah.

Hunt said there were no injuries reported in the incident but both sides of Interstate 15 remained closed as of noon local time on Tuesday as crews worked to clear debris. Authorities hoped to reopen northbound lanes later in the afternoon.



In the meantime, cars and trucks were being diverted around the closed section of highway using on- and off-ramps, he said, but traffic remained backed up for miles in both directions.

Los Angeles TV stations showed long lines of cars and interviewed frustrated drivers, although others took the situation in stride.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
January 19, 2019
'Aspiring rapper' charged with murder of Israeli student in Melbourne

By REUTERS