Britain says still seeking UN condemnation of Syria

By REUTERS
May 5, 2011 02:03

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

LONDON - Britain said on Wednesday it was still seeking condemnation at the United Nations of Syria's crackdown on protests despite being rebuffed in an attempt last week.

Syrian President Bashar Assad has used the army and police to try to crush weeks of pro-democracy protests that pose the boldest challenge to his family's 41 years of rule.

"In Syria, we are mustering international diplomatic action to pressure President Assad to stop the killing and repression and to take the path of genuine reform," British Foreign Secretary William Hague said in a speech.

"I have instructed our diplomats to begin discussions with our partners at the UN in New York to seek UN condemnation of the situation in Syria," he said. "And we are working this week on EU sanctions on those responsible for the violence".

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 18, 2018
At least two die in car bomb in Iraq

By REUTERS