LONDON - Britain will take in hundreds of the most vulnerable Syrian refugees, including rape and torture victims, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg said on Tuesday, announcing a softening of the government's stance.
Clegg said the government had been given United Nations backing to accept Syrian refugees on a case-by-case basis, but was stopping short of agreeing to take in a quota under a UN scheme to resettle 30,000 of the most vulnerable cases.
"Sadly we cannot provide safety for everyone who needs it, but we can reach out to some of those who need it most," Clegg said.
Clegg said the government would focus on resettling women and girls who have experienced, or are at risk of, sexual violence. The elderly, survivors of torture and individuals with disabilities would also be treated as priority cases.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>