CAIRO - A British charity worker who was barred from leaving Egypt last week over an investigation into non-governmental organizations operating in the country was cleared to return to Britain on Tuesday, sources at the airport said.
The sources did not give details about Diane Diacon's work, but she is listed as director of The Building and Social Housing Foundation, according to the British charity's website. The charity has worked on a housing project in southern Egypt.
The general prosecutor gave permission for Diacon to leave Egypt after completing an investigation, the airport sources said.
A total of 43 foreigners, mostly Americans, and locals have been banned from leaving Egypt and their cases have been referred to a criminal court in a row that has led Washington to warn that $1.3 billion a year of military aid may be at risk.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>