Canada police say Ontario mosque deliberately set on fire

November 16, 2015 00:37


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

TORONTO - A fire at an Ontario mosque late on Saturday night, which caused extensive damage but no injuries, was set deliberately, police said on Sunday.

The blaze at the Masjid al-Salaam Mosque in Peterborough, about 137 km (85 miles) from Toronto, occurred a day after Islamic militants launched coordinated attacks across Paris that killed 129 people.

The fire occurred late at night when the mosque, the only one in the town, was empty.

"The scare for people is that what if this had happened while we were in there?" Kenzu Abdella, president of the Kawartha Muslim Religious Association which operated the mosque, told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation on Sunday.

"So there's a bit of uneasiness in the community."

Related Content

Breaking news
August 19, 2018
Iran defense minister: Iran to unveil new fighter jets