Canada says fighter jets make first strike against Islamic State

By REUTERS
November 3, 2014 04:10
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Canadian fighter jets have made their first combat strike since joining a campaign against Islamic State fighters in Iraq last month, Canada's defense minister said on Sunday.

Two Canadian CF-18 jets attacked Islamic State targets with laser-guided bombs in the vicinity of Fallujah, Iraq in a four-hour mission before returning safely to base, Defense Minister Rob Nicholson said in a statement.

"Today's strike demonstrates our government's firm resolve to tackle the threat of terrorism and to stand with our allies," the statement said, adding more information will be provided during a media briefing on Tuesday.

Canada's Conservative government early last month announced Canadian fighter jets would take part in U.S.-led air strikes against Islamic State militants operating in Iraq for up to six months.

The decision to join the campaign was followed last month by fatal attacks on two soldiers in Canada that police said were carried out independently by radical recent converts to Islam.

One Canadian soldier was shot on Oct. 22 while standing guard at an Ottawa war memorial by a man who then charged into the Parliament building. Two days earlier, another man rammed two soldiers with his car near Montreal, killing one. (Reporting by Jeffrey Hodgson; Editing by Chris Reese)
Word Count: 217

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 24, 2018
Russia to supply Syria with S-300 anti-missile system

By REUTERS