Police shoot man while trying to stop gang of car thieves

January 12, 2015 12:51
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Police shot and badly wounded an East Jerusalem man while trying to stop a gang of suspected car thieves outside Tel Aviv Monday morning.

The man, who police said was part of the gang, was wounded when he and two other suspects came to a police checkpoint near the Geha intersection on the Bnei Barak-Petah Tikva border and refused to stop. Police said the gang rammed a police car with their vehicle, at which point they opened fire, hitting the driver.

The drama began Monday morning when detectives set out to patrol in Givat Shmuel, after they got an indication that a gang of East Jerusalem car thieves they’d been tracking was in the area, driving a car reported stolen months earlier, police said.

The cops made their way to an apartment building in the neighborhood and set up an ambush for the four suspects, who had entered one of the apartments, allegedly to rob it. After they exited police managed to arrest one suspect, but the others fled in a waiting car. It was shortly thereafter that they arrived at the checkpoint near Geha.

The man who was shot was taken to Beilinson Hospital in moderate to serious condition. Two others fled from the car and have yet to be found, police said Monday evening.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 15, 2018
Turkish court rules to release local Amnesty International chair