Crane collapses in Yavne, four workers dead

"The work accident in Yavne is shocking, and the number of injuries and fatalities at construction sites is inconceivable," Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan said.

By
May 22, 2019 07:57
2 minute read.
The scene in Yavne where part of the crane collapsed

The scene in Yavne where part of the crane collapsed. (photo credit: MDA)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Four workers were killed and two were injured on Sunday when a crane collapsed and counterweights crashed to the ground at a residential construction site in Yavne.


“This is a large construction site with two residential buildings, and a crane in the middle,” said Magen David Adom paramedic Alon Melma, who treated the victims at the scene. “The rear section of the crane disconnected and fell to the ground.”
Three workers were found dead on the ground by rescue workers when they arrived. An Israeli crane operator was pronounced dead after rescue workers retrieved his body, which was hanging from the crane wreckage.


Two other lightly injured workers were stuck on the crane and safely brought back to the ground.


“The work accident in Yavne is shocking, and the number of injuries and fatalities at construction sites is inconceivable,” Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan said.


“I have made it clear to the police on several occasions in recent months that I expect the investigation of events to conclude in identifying criminal liability, up to the highest echelons of the construction companies.”


Israel Police said it would be referring the accident to its joint investigation division with the Labor Ministry, within the Lahav 433 National Crime Unit. Eight workers were interviewed at the site, some under caution.


The Labor Ministry said that another worker, truck driver Yitzhak Cohen, was electrocuted to death at the same construction site last month.


MKs Avi Nissenkorn (Blue and White), Osama Saadi (Hadash-Ta’al), Michal Rozin (Meretz) and Moshe Arbel (Shas) issued a joint statement, calling for a criminal inquiry and for the construction site to be closed down.


“The helplessness of the government regarding work accidents on construction sites is costing lives,” they said.


“Promises to enforce safety procedures, stricter penalties and improved safety measures have not been realized, and workers continue to be killed. We call on the government to act immediately to enforce stringent safety procedures, to move inspectors to existing construction sites and to stop activity at dangerous sites in order to prevent the killing and injury of additional workers.”

 
MK Shelly Yacimovich (Labor) said the crane collapse constituted a disaster on a national scale.


“The ongoing powerlessness of all the enforcement agencies borders on criminal negligence and the contempt for human life is terrible and would not have occurred if the victims were not poor and apparently ‘unimportant’ to the government,” Yacimovich said.


“The time has come for the police unit responsible for investigating work accidents to act in a manner similar to cases of murder.”

After an emergency meeting on Monday, Histadrut Labor Union chairman Arnon Bar-David and Israel Builders Association president Raul Srugo said they would be declaring 2019-2020 as the year of "construction site safety."

"The tragic incidents in the construction industry are not a divine decree," said Bar-David and Srugo in a joint statement.

"By working together, it will be possible to dramatically reduce the number of casualties caused by work accidents at construction sites. The government, employers and employees should join together to combat this safety crisis."


Since the beginning of the year, 19 construction workers have been killed and 68 have been injured, 11 severely.

Related Content

A SCENE from ‘Righteous Among the Nations.’
June 17, 2019
Polish dance troupe recalls Warsaw Ghetto

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF

Cookie Settings