Croatia puts up barriers on border bridge with Serbia

By REUTERS
June 30, 2016 17:08

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

ZAGREB - Croatia, which last year saw hundreds of thousands of migrants pass through on their way to Western Europe, has erected metal barriers on a bridge at the border with Serbia to prevent illegal entry.

The interior ministry said in a statement it had set up the barriers on the bridge over the Danube River at the Batina-Bezdan border crossing. "The technical barriers could be activated to completely close the bridge," it said.

Last year some 650,000 migrants, mainly Syrians, Afghans and Iraqis, crossed Croatia on their way to the European Union's visa-free Schengen zone.



Other states in the region, including Hungary and Slovenia, have erected border fences. In March, Macedonia, Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia closed their borders to refugees, forcing them to seek alternative routes or pay smugglers.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
December 13, 2018
Main suspect in Strasbourg attack has been killed

By REUTERS