TRIPOLI - Gunmen ended a nearly two-week siege of Libya's Foreign Ministry in the capital after reaching a deal with the government, its Supreme Security Committee said late on Saturday.
In the oil-rich east, meanwhile, hundreds of leaders agreed to join forces to defend their territory against similar armed attacks.
A commander of an SSE group stationed at the gates of the vacant Foreign Ministry said it had been handed over to a committee made up of members of parliament and leaders connected to the armed protests.
The SSE is a group of ex-rebel fighters under the Ministry of Interior, now better armed and more powerful than the police.
"The protesters had retreated because (some of) their demands were realized," he told Reuters.